Monday, January 28, 2013

Car Accident

On December 27th, 2012 I was driving to work at 6:15 in the morning to our American Fork office  to meet the Dr. there by 6:45 to drive up to the North Ogden office. I got on the freeway and only the far right lane was covered with a few inches of snow but all the other lanes were fine. I was merging on the freeway and was still in the far right lane trying to merge into another lane so I wasn't forced to get off the exit but there were so many cars going by. I was going about 15 mph... and finally there was an opening so I merged. Without any fishtailing or anything as a warning that simple turn of the steering wheel sent me spinning three times accross all the lanes of the freeway as I was staring at cars coming head on and switching lanes to miss me.. and then a semi coming straight at me. As soon as my car stopped I got in the far right lane and put my flashers on and just started bawling trying to call Hunter to tel him I couldn't drive any more and for him to come and pick me up. He didn't answer his phone so I started driving again going about 25-30mph.. it was snowing :) Hunter finally called me and I told him what had happen and he talked to me for awhile and then we hung up and he told me to call him when I got to work. A few minutes after we hung up my exit was coming up and the car in front of me merged into the right lane to get off the exit and for some reason I felt like I should try and get in front of her but instead didn't want to try cause I didn't want to spin out again so I just followed behind her.. Right after I got behind her she started swerving all over the place and slammed on her brakes and kept sliding all over... Now i'm not one to follow close and am VERY paranoid about being really far away from cars when following them. So I slammed on my brakes and if there wasn't snow I would have been stopped but with all the snow my brakes locked and I just slid straight for 40-50 feet and then her car slid to the left and back to the right and we both did a half spin and were parellel right next to each other blocking 2 lanes. I immediately called Hunter and then a girl from work who then called the Dr. to let him know I would be late if I would be there at all. I thought that the other driver had called 911 but she didn't ..... so Hunter called since I was just bawling and didn't know what to do.. (Don't worry.. I learned my lesson.. call 911 when you get in an accident and are blocking lanes :)) about 5-10 minutes later a highway patrol man came and helped us pull into a gas station and had us both fill out paperwork and write our statements down on what happened. After that we were both able to drive away and go to work.. it was a long hard day and now a month later I am still trying to get my car fixed... it is definitely something I NEVER want to happen again. Having to call multiple insurance companies and wait for them to call me back when the driver of the other car won't answer any calls or return them. But I'll stick it out since it wasn't my fault and it should be covered by her insurance :)






I'm just exremely grateful that neither of us were  hurt and both cars are drivable because it could have been SO much worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment