Saturday, October 6, 2012

a job worth waiting for

When I graduated high school my plan was to go to UVU and get my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and be a Kindergarten teacher. I got a scholarship to UVU that paid for all my schooling but a few weeks before starting college I met Hunter. I started at UVU and went for the fall 2010 semester and things just didn't feel right. I new I would love to be a kindergarten teacher but it just didn't feel realistic anymore to get married and be in school for 3.5 years.. and the possibility of not even getting into the teaching program. And I was definitely not going to be going to school for 3.5 years and wait that long to have some pretty babies. All through High school I thought of doing dental assisting I love teeth and it is always the first thing I noticed about people. I started looking into different dental assisting schools and interning at my sister Kari's office and I loved it. I loved the atmosphere of Dental Offices. I finally found a school and went with my mom for a tour at Practical Dental Assisting of Utah and absolutely loved it and loved that I could be in my career after 12 weeks of school and that dental assistants get paid well. They were all so friendly and answered all of our questions and we decided to sign me up for the program. We didn't do it for a few weeks and then I got on their website and they had a *holiday special* and it was marked down $1,500 so my mom and I went down and paid for the program and I started in January 2011 and finished at the end of March. It all felt so perfect. I loved dental assisting and I got an A in the whole program and was one of the top in the class.

We got married and I was going on 3 years working at KFC/A&W which was the perfect job for high school, but once we got married it was rough me working at a fast food restaurant. I started to dread going to work and smell like chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and getting paid a little above minimum wage. After a few months of no interviews and me interning at different offices Hunter and I decided that I should get a job at Hunter's work since they were hiring for a new campaign Moultrie and I started in August of 2011 and started getting more interviews and had one office that wanted to hire me but then it ended up not working out so I started interning there for 6-7 months and then Hunter's car broke down and we only had one vehicle to get to work and school and interning so I stopped going. I was happy I didn't have to go anymore because that was $300 dollars more a month we were able to get and save.

 I kept applying for jobs and in May I had an office that told me that they loved me, that they wanted me to work for them. I had 4-5 interviews and they paid me and then the Dentist emailed me and said he was starting his own practice so they wouldn't need an assistant anymore. I was tired, tired of having offices tell me they love me and then to turn me away or telling me I don't have enough experience. We had prayed so much that I would be able to get a job and be able to start my career and new it was what I am suppose to do with my life but  it just felt like it was never going to happen.

 Hunter was my rock through all of this. He was always the one encouraging me that I would be able to get the job and working at the call center will give me more skills and that everything will work out how its suppose to. And with each job interview and working interview I had Hunter was always there to encourage and support me when I got told over and over that they loved me and my personality but they found someone with more experience. He helped me stay confident that I would get a job. I am so grateful that I  met Hunter, I don't know what I would do without him.

Every month I applied for 10-15 jobs or more. Then In July something sparked. I received an email and set up an interview and then I had a missed call from and office wanting me in for an interview and when I was on the phone with them another office called and wanted me in for an interview and then when I went in for an interview I had a call from my Dental assisting school telling me of an office in American Fork that was hiring and I called and left a message there. The next three weeks were insane. I was getting 3-4 calls a day with offices wanting me in for interviews. I wasn't able to work most days cause I was going to interviews and then working interviews after they interviewed me. It felt like another full time job going to 3-4 interviews everyday. I couldn't believe it and neither could my mom and Hunter with every text I sent them or when I called them telling them how many more interview I had. I became extremely comfortable with interviews and new what questions they were going to ask before they even ask them. Almost every office had the same questions so I was able to answer all there questions with out hesitation or even thinking of anything.

 Everyday looked like this :)

After over 20 interviews in 2 weeks I was at my last interview at TMJ Therapy and had already had a face to face interview and was there for my working interview and after the interview the Dr. took me into a room and asked a few things about myself and brought he head assistant in and they asked how I would like to work there. I was shocked. I never expected someone to offer me the job on the spot. I was so excited and couldn't wait to leave to call Hunter and tell him. After they gave me all my paperwork to fill out I headed out the door got in my car and called Hunter and he asked how the interview went and I said good.. and then I said guess what? I got the job! He was so excited and was surprised I got the job offer right on the spot. I had the interview on a Wednesday and they wanted me to start on Monday. I was thrilled. I did want to give my work 2 weeks notice but they had known for a long time that I would be leaving as soon as I got a job. So I worked 2 more days and then started on monday and have now been there for almost 3 months. After I had worked there for about a week I got 4 different calls offering me a job to other places I interviewed. I couldn't believe that I had to start turning away jobs when I couldn't even get one before that.

It was a good learning experience and I am so grateful for all the interviews I had and all the love and support from family and friends and I am so happy with my new job :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you!!! I'm glad your persistence paid off, and that you didn't give up. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. You really are an amazing assistant! It's about time others took notice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn!! I am loving every minute of it :)

    ReplyDelete